10 Companies That Hire Part-Time Workers
Posted Jan 16th 2009 3:19PM
By Rachel Zupek,CareerBuilder.com writer
For many people, working part time is a necessity -- not a choice. Perhaps they have to work part time in order to make ends meet, but did you know that almost 1.5 million people are working part time because they were unable to find full-time jobs?
In November 2008, the number of people who worked part time for economic reasons, meaning that they would like to work full time but couldn't because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to, rose to 7.3 million. That number is more than a 2 million-person increase over the past 12 months. Whether you're looking for part-time work to supplement your current income, you can't find full-time work or you just don't want to work 40 hours per week, here are just 10 companies in a variety of industries that hire for part-time employees;
1. 24 Hour FitnessWhat it is: A fitness center chain headquartered in San Ramon, Calif., and housing more than 425 clubs in 16 states. The club has more than 3 million members and more than 20,000 employees.
Available part-time positions: Personal trainer; group exercise instructor; facility technician; kid's club attendant; membership counselor and more.
2. Aegis TherapiesWhat it is: A geriatric rehabilitation center that provides physical, occupational and speech therapy services to older adults. It currently has more than 1,000 locations around the United States.
Available part-time positions: Physical therapist; speech pathologist; home health occupational therapist; occupational therapist; occupational therapist assistant and more.
3. AMF Bowling Centers, Inc. What it is: Headquartered in Richmond, Va., AMF is the largest bowling company in the world, owning and operating more than 350 bowling centers in the United States.
Available part-time positions: Bartender; counter desk attendant; birthday party host; entry-level mechanic; lane server and more.
4. Bayada NursesWhat it is: A home health-care company that treats patients of all ages in their homes to provide them with comfort. Bayada Nurses has more than 130 offices in 17 states.
Available part-time positions: Home health aide; pediatric nurse; registered nurse; nursing assistant; medical social worker and more.
5. Central Payment CorporationWhat it is: A national credit card processing company that encourages businesses to accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards as a form of payment. In conjunction with Wells Fargo Bank, CPC also offers companies check systems, gift cards, wireless solutions and other forms of payment.
Available part-time positions: Outside sales representatives; outside account representatives and more.
6. CVS CorporationWhat it is: A Fortune 25 company, CVS is a retail drug and pharmacy store. It fills or manages more than one billion prescriptions per year and has more than 6,200 operating CVS/pharmacy stores nationwide.
Available part-time positions: Beauty consultant; pharmacy technician; shift supervisor; cashier and more.
7. David's BridalWhat it is: A bridal retail shop with more than 280 stores across the nation. More than 2,500 trained consultants provide head-to-toe dressing, on-site alterations, special financing options, gown preservation services and coordinating attire for the entire bridal party.
Available part-time positions: Retail sales associate; alterations; seamstress; bridal consultant; wedding consultant; customer service representative and more.
8. NHS Human ServicesWhat it is: A community-based behavioral health-care provider that focuses on the special needs of adults and children in the following areas: behavioral health; intellectual and developmental disabilities; juvenile justice; addictive diseases; elder care; autism; special education; and early intervention and therapeutic foster care.
Available part-time positions: Mobile therapist; behavioral specialist consultant; therapeutic staff support; psychiatric technician and more.
9. Red Robin Gourmet BurgersWhat it is: A casual dining chain headquartered in Greenwood Village, Colo. They have more than 300 restaurants in the United States and Canada, plus a selection of more than 22 gourmet burger recipes with unique toppings like chili, guacamole or even a fried egg.
Available part-time positions: Server; host and hostess; dishwasher; busser; bartender; cook and more.
10. H&R BlockWhat it is: A tax services company that provides tax, financial, accounting and business consulting services and products. It has operations in three business segments: tax services; business services and consumer financial services.
Available part-time positions: Tax preparer and tax professional.*Please note that some positions require extensive training and certification; others do not qualify as a part-time position that you could work in addition to a full-time job. Select companies are hiring for both full- and part-time employees.
Rachel Zupek is a writer and blogger for CareerBuilder.com. She researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues.